First launched in 2009 Honda Jazz was appreciated for its credibility as a premium hatchback, the model fell prey to overpricing. Even when the segment was lean in size, it failed to revive sales after several price reductions and the hatchback was eventually taken off production in 2013, Two years after it bid adieu, Honda Jazz was reborn in India, sporting better looks, more features and a new diesel engine. Now, the Japanese carmaker introduced the updated version of the hatchback with minor styling and feature upgrades. On the other hand, the Maruti Baleno was an instant hit and continues to be one of the top-selling models in the segment. Even though Jazz is priced slightly higher than rivals, does it really have it all to claim the throne? We find out in our spec-based comparison between Honda Jazz and Maruti Baleno. Check out New Honda Jazz 2018 Vs Maruti Baleno price, mileage, engines & dimensions –
New Honda Jazz 2018 Vs Maruti Baleno Price
|Name of the Car||Price (ex-showroom, Delhi)|
|New Honda Jazz 2018||Rs 7.35 lakh to Rs 9.29 lakh|
|Maruti Baleno||Rs 5.35 lakh to Rs 8.49 lakh|
– Compared to the old model, the new Honda Jazz 2018 facelift is slightly more expensive. Prices of the petrol lineup start from Rs 7.35 lakh (for the V MT trim) and go all up to Rs 8.99 lakh (for the VX CVT).
– The diesel version of the hatchback is priced higher from Rs 8.05 lakh to Rs 9.29 lakh. All prices are ex-showroom, Delhi.
– The Maruti Baleno petrol range starts from Rs 5.35 lakh and goes up to Rs 8.40 lakh. The diesel variants in the line-up fall between Rs 6.51 lakh to Rs 8.49 lakh (all prices ex-showroom, Delhi).
– The price difference between base diesel variants of Jazz and Baleno is around Rs 1.54 lakh. The gap widens to Rs 2 lakh (approximate value) in petrol version. While the top-spec petrol Jazz variant is Rs 1.54 lakh pricier than Baleno and the diesel variant costs Rs 80,000 more (approximate figures).
New Honda Jazz 2018 Vs Maruti Baleno Specifications
|Specifications||New Honda Jazz 2018||Maruti Baleno|
|Petrol Engines||1.2-litre SOHC i-VTEC||1.2-litre K-Series|
|Diesel Engines||1.5-litre i-DTEC||1.3L MJD Diesel|
|Transmission||5-Speed MT & CVT||5-speed manual & CVT|
– No mechanical changes have been made to the new Honda Jazz 2018 facelift. The updated model continues to source power from the 1.2-litre petrol and 1.5-litre diesel engines making a top power of 89bhp with 110Nm and 99bhp with 200Nm.
– While the petrol models come with a 5-speed manual and an optional CVT transmission, the diesel variants are available with a manual unit only.
– Maruti Baleno model series is also offered with a 1.2-litre petrol and a 1.3-litre oil burner in manual and CVT transmission options. The gasoline unit makes 83bhpbhp with 115Nm of torque, the diesel unit delivers power worth 74bhp against 190Nm of torque.
– In terms of power, new Honda Jazz 2018 gets more powerful engines.
New Honda Jazz 2018 Vs Maruti Baleno Mileage
|Name of the Car||Petrol Mileage||Diesel Mileage|
|New Honda Jazz 2018||18.7kmpl||27.3kmpl|
– The new Honda Jazz 2018 petrol lags in terms of fuel economy with 18.7kmpl. While the diesel engine returns almost similar mileage as Baleno at 27.3kmpl.
– Maruti Baleno powered by the petrol engine delivers ARAI rated mileage of 21.4kmpl against the diesel version with 27.39kmpl.
New Honda Jazz 2018 Vs Maruti Baleno Dimensions
|Dimensions||New Honda Jazz 2018||Maruti Baleno|
– In terms of proportions, the new Honda Jazz 2018 is exactly similar to the old model. The Jazz and Baleno measure same in terms of length, while Baleno is wider and Jazz is taller.
– Out of the two models, Jazz sits on a longer wheelbase, which means more space inside the cabin.
– As for the luggage compartment, Jazz offer 15L more space compared to Baleno.
New Honda Jazz 2018 Vs Maruti Baleno Features
|Key Features||Honda Jazz||Maruti Baleno|
|Rear AC Vents||No||No|
|Touchscreen Infotainment system||Yes||Yes|
|Height adj. driver seat||Yes||Yes|
|Steering mounted audio & calling controls||Yes||Yes|
|Apple CarPlay & Android Auto||Yes||Apple CarPlay|
|Rear wiper & washer||Yes||Yes|
– The entry-level variant in Jazz’s line-up is bereft of infotainment & connectivity features.
– Features such as Honda’s new 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, in-built satellite linked turn-by-turn navigation system, voie command and IR remote control is offered only on the range topping VX trim. Similarly, DVD player and on-board navigation are also offered with the mid range trim.
– The paddle shifters are available only on the V CVT trim.
– Interestingly, Honda has offered the speed sensing auto door lock, centre armrest and rear parking sensor as standard on the 2018 Jazz facelift.
– The cruise control, push button start/stop and Honda smart key with keyless remote are made available only with the diesel or CVT petrol variants.
– On the Maruti Baleno line-up, the base Sigma trims miss out on infotainment features.
The top-spec Alpha trims get Maruti’s SmartPlay infotainment system with navigation system, voice command, Apple CarPlay & remote control through smartphone App. Steering mounted audio controls, Bluetooth and AUX &USB are offered from Delta onwards. Maruti’s Smartplay system is available with a software update for Android Auto & new maps for navigation system.
New Honda Jazz 2018 Vs Maruti Baleno Safety Features
|Key Features||Honda Jazz||Maruti Baleno|
|Dual Front Airbags||Yes||Yes|
|ABS with EBD||Yes||Yes|
|Rear Parking Camera||Yes||Yes|
|Speed Sensing Auto Door lock||Yes||No|
|Reverse parking sensor||Yes||Yes|
|All Disc brakes||No||No|
|NCAP Ratings||5-Star ANCAP (2015)||4-Star EURO NCAP (2016)|
– The 2018 Honda Jazz facelift gets dual front airbags, ABS and EBD as standard fitment. The driver side window one touch up/down with pinch guard and rear-view camera are offered from the V onward.
– Other highlights include rear parking camera and sensor, speed sensing auto door lock, driver seatbelt reminder, rear windshield defogger, LED high mount stop lamp, key off reminder and engine immobilizer.
– The Maruti Baleno line-up features standard dual front airbags, ABS with EBD, seat belt pre-tensioners with force safe limiters, ISOFIX child seat anchorages and pedestrian protection.
– The reverse parking camera is available exclusively on the top-spec Alpha trim. It also comes equipped with anti-theft security system, driver side seat belt reminder and headlamp leveling.
New Honda Jazz 2018 Vs Maruti Baleno – Styling
– Built on all-new platform, the new Maruti Baleno is claimed to be lighter and stiffer than existing Maruti cars. It also aids to the fuel efficiency and handling of the vehicle. The same platform also underpins the next generation Swift twins.
– The premium hatchback features S-Cross inspired twin-slat front grille with prominent V-shaped chrome surround at the bottom, wide air-intake inlet, sloping roofline and sporty rear design. The top-of-the-line variant is exclusively offered with automatic projector headlamps, LED daytime running lamps and 16-inches alloy wheels.
– Similar to the old model, the new Honda Jazz 2018 facelift features the company’s new “EXCITING H!!!” design philosophy and looks bolder, sleeker and sportier. It gets two major design changes including the updated taillamps with LED wing lights and new chrome door handles (top-spec trim).
– The hatchback is now available in two new body colours – Lunar Silver Metallic and Radiant Red Metallic along with the regular shades.
– The 2018 Jazz continues to feature the same MPV-like, cab-forward styling. The front fascia of the hatchback features sleeker grille, flanked by horizontally stretched out headlamps, bumper with air-vent and stylish fog lamps.
New Honda Jazz 2018 Vs Maruti Baleno – Interior
– With a 2,520mm of long wheelbase, the Maruti Baleno offers a more generous cabin space than the Swift hatchback.
– The Baleno is first-in-segment to feature a 7-inch SmartPlay infotainment system with Apple CarPlay. The premium hatch also get a LCD display on instrument panel, navigation system, Bluetooth connectivity, automatic climate control, etc.
– For safety purpose, the car offers dual airbags and ABS (anti-lock braking system) with EBD (electronic brake-force distribution) that come as standard fitments across all variants.
– On the other hand, the new Jazz facelift is claimed to be the most spacious car in its league. Based on Honda’s “Man Maximum Machine Minimum” design philosophy, the hatchback offers an excellent legroom and headroom for all five occupants.
– As far as features are concerned, the hatchback comes equipped with a display for the rear camera and audio system with USB and Bluetooth, climate control with touch panel, steering wheel mounted controls for audio and Bluetooth, a rear view camera, 60:40 split rear seats, etc.
Latest Video – 2018 Honda Amaze Vs Maruti Dzire