Here’s a spec-based comparison between the upcoming 2018 Mahindra XUV500 Vs Jeep Compass.
Here’s a spec-based comparison between the new 2018 Mahindra XUV500 and the Jeep Compass.
Mahindra & Mahindra introduced the facelifted version of the XUV500 in the Indian market at a starting price of Rs 12.32 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). Along with multiple exterior and interior updates, the SUV receives a more powerful mHawk 155 diesel powertrain. The 2018 Mahindra XUV500 available in a total of 10 variants including five diesel manual, four automatic diesel and a petrol. Prices of the SUV fall in the range of Rs 12.32 lakh – Rs 15.43 lakh (ex-showroom, Mumbai). At this price point, the 2018 Mahindra XUV500 continues to take on the Jeep Compass that costs Rs 15.16 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). While the Compass looks promising and is currently slaying competition in the segment, we find if it could overpower Mahindra’s new XUV500 facelift in our detailed spec-base comparison, read on to know more.
|Name of the Car||Ex-showroom|
|Jeep Compass||Rs 15.16 lakh to Rs 21.91 lakh|
|2018 Mahindra XUV500||Rs 12.32 lakh to Rs 15.43 lakh|
– For 2018 model year, the Mahindra XUV500 witnessed significant aesthetic upgrades and new features. Alongside, the SUV’s top-ranging model gets a more powerful mHawk diesel engine making 155bhp.
– Despite comprehensive updates, the 2018 XUV500 gets cheaper than its predecessor. Now, the SUV is available in the price range of Rs 12.32 lakh and goes up to Rs 15.43 lakh (ex-showroom, Mumbai).
– With 65 per cent of localisation, and reduced cess on SUVs under the GST reform, Jeep has been able to achieve aggressive pricing for its first made-in India model. The Jeep Compass is, currently, priced between Rs 15.16 lakh to Rs 21.91 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).
|Specifications||Jeep Compass||2018 Mahindra XUV500|
|Petrol Engines||1.4-litre turbocharged Multi Air||2.2-litre|
|Diesel Engines||2.0-litre Multijet II||2.2-mHawk|
|Transmission||6-speed MT & 7-speed DSG AT with 4×2 & 4×4 options||6-speed AT & 6-speed MT|
– Jeep comes with petrol & diesel engines with a choice between 6-speed manual and a 7-speed DSG AT unit. The diesel AT trims will get a 9-speed AT unit at a later stage. The AWD trims in Compass range additionally get Select-Terrain system with 4 driving modes-Auto, Snow, Mud and Sand.
– The 2018 Mahindra XUV500 carline, on the other hand, comes with the new more powerful mHawk diesel engine with the new-generation electronically controlled variable geometry turbocharger (EVGT).
– Offered only on the top-spec model, this motor makes 153bhp at 3,750rpm and 360Nm at 1,750rpm-2,800rpm. The petrol version also uses the same 2.2-litre petrol unit that’s good for 140bhp and 320Nm.
– Transmission choices include a 6-speed MT and 6-speed AT, supported by AWD and FWD drivetrain options.
|Name of the Car||Petrol Mileage||Diesel Mileage|
|2018 Mahindra XUV500||10kmpl||16.0kmpl|
-The Jeep Compass returns a claimed mileage of 17.1kmpl.
-Powered by the 2.0-litre mHawk engine, the XUV500 is claimed to deliver ARAI rated fuel economy of 16kmpl.
|Dimensions||Jeep Compass||2018 Mahindra XUV500|
– Interestingly, 2018 Mahindra XUV500 is taller than Jeep Compass and sits on a longer wheelbase. The XUV500 offers generous boot space of 720-litres.
– Jeep Compass on the other hand has a luggage storage capacity of 410-litres.
|Key Features||Jeep Compass||2018 Mahindra XUV500|
|Rear AC Vents||Yes||Yes|
|Touchscreen Infotainment system||Yes||Yes|
|Height adj. driver seat||Yes||Yes|
|Steering mounted audio & calling controls||Yes||Yes|
|Apple CarPlay & Android Auto||Yes||Android Auto|
|Navigation system & Voice command||Yes||Yes|
|Rain sensing wipers||Yes||Yes|
– The base variants in Jeep Compass line-up get power-operated ORVMs and a 5.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system. While the fully-loaded top-spec variant additionally get HID headlamps, leather seats, rear camera etc.
– Salient features including power-operated ORVMs with heated function, automatic headlamps, cruise control, reclining second seats, front/rear power windows, adjustable headrests etc comes as standard across line-up.
– Major updates made on the 2018 Mahindra XUV500 include new larger projector headlamps with LED daytime running lights, revised front bumper, a bigger central airdam, tear-duct-shaped foglamps with chrome accents and 17-inch standard wheels (18-inch alloys optional).
– Other key features include standard electrically adjustable wing mirrors, power windows, remote tailgate opening, one touch lane change indicator, flip-key with remote central locking, flexi seats, rear wash & wipe and follow me home headlamps among others.
– All the variants come with a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto, Ecosense and Connected Apps along with Bluetooth, GPS and USB connectivity, 8-way adjustable driver’s seat save for the base trim that features 6-way adjustable driver’s seat.
– Only W10 trims get power-operated 6-way adjustable driver seat, revised seats in new quilted tan and black dual tone leather and an electric sunroof with anti-pinch. Besides, every row has mobile charging points and the glove box comes with a laptop holder.
|Key Features||Jeep Compass||2018 Mahindra XUV500|
|ABS with EBD||Yes||Yes|
|Rear Parking Camera||Yes||Yes|
|Speed Sensing Auto Door lock||Not Known||No|
|Autonomous emergency braking||Not Known||No|
|Reverse parking sensor||Yes||No|
|Auto Day/Night IRVM||Yes||Yes|
|All Disc brakes||Yes||Yes|
– Jeep Compass carline gets electronic stability control, Hill Start Assist, Traction Control and dual airbags as standard fitments. The top-of-the-line grade comes with six airbags.
– On the other hand, 2018 Mahindra XUV500 gets dual airbags and ABD with EBD as standard offerings.
– Safety features such as six airbags (including side and curtain), ESP with rollover mitigation and hill hold and hill descent control are exclusively offered on the top-spec trim.