In the entry-level small car space, the new Hyundai Santo 2018 takes directly on the Renault Kwid.
Hyundai has finally revived its iconic Santro brand in India with the launch of its new-generation model. Priced at Rs 3.89 lakh, the new Hyundai Santro 2018 has witnessed comprehensive changes inside and out. Besides this, the hatchback receives a new petrol powertrain with Hyundai’s in-house developed AMT gearbox (Smart Auto Technology). In the entry-level small car space, the new Hyundai Santo 2018 takes directly on the Renault Kwid (1.0L variant). Let’s see how they stack against each other (New Hyundai Santro 2018 Vs Renault Kwid).
New Hyundai Santro 2018 Vs Renault Kwid Price
|2018 Hyundai Santro||Rs 3.89 lakh – Rs 5.46 lakh|
|Renault Kwid (1.0L)||Rs 4.04 lakh – Rs 4.34 lakh|
– The Renault Kwid 1.0L model is currently available at Rs 4.04 lakh and the 1.0L AMT variant costs Rs 4.34 lakh.
– The 2018 Hyundai Santro comes at a starting price of Rs 3.89 lakh. The carline has two AMT variants – Magna and Sportz – priced at Rs 5.18 lakh and Rs 5.46 lakh respectively.
– Compared to the Kwid 1.0L, the new Santro is around Rs 15,000 more affordable. However, the AMT version of the Kwid will cost you Rs 84,000 less than the Santro Magna AMT.
– All prices are ex-showroom, Delhi. Read: 2018 Hyundai Santro Vs Maruti WagonR
New Hyundai Santro 2018 Pictures
New Hyundai Santro 2018 Vs Renault Kwid Specifications
|Specifications||2018 Hyundai Santro||Renault Kwid|
|Transmission||5-speed MT, AMT||5-speed MT, AMT|
– The Renault Kwid comes with two petrol powertrian options – a 800cc, 3-cylinder and a more powerful 1.0L motor. While the former is good enough for 53bhp with 72Nm of torque, the latter produces 67bhp with 91Nm of torque.
– Both the engines are paired to a 5-speed manual transmission. The AMT gearbox (Easy-R) is exclusively offered on the 1.0L variants.
– The 2018 Hyundai Santro sources power from a 1.1L, four-cylinder petrol motor churns out a peak power of 68bhp against 99Nm of torque.
– The hatchback is also available with a factory fitted CNG kit delivering a peak power of 59bhp and 84Nm of torque.
– Transmission choices include a 5-speed manual and Hyundai’s in-house developed AMT (Smart Auto) unit.
– Both the hatchbacks are available with manual and AMT gearbox options. In fact, the power and torque figures are also more or less same. Read: New Hyundai Santro – Top 5 Features
New Hyundai Santro 2018 Vs Renault Kwid Mileage
|2018 Hyundai Santro||20.3|
|Renault Kwid||21.7 – 25.17|
– Packed with a 1.0L petrol engine, Renault’s small car delivers a claimed mileage of 21.7kkmpl and the Climber 1.0L AMT promises 22.5kmpl.
– Hyundai India claims that the 2018 Santro is capable to return fuel economy of 20.3kmpl.
– On the fuel efficiency ground, the Renault Kwid takes a lead over the 2018 Hyundai Santro. The former is slightly more fuel economical small city car than the latter. Read: New Hyundai Santro – A Bigger Threat To Renault Kwid Than Tata Tiago
New Hyundai Santro 2018 Vs Renault Kwid Dimensions
|Dimensions||2018 Hyundai Santro||Renault Kwid|
– The overall length, width and height of the Renault Kwid stand at 3679mm, 1579mm and 1513mm respectively.
– The hatch has a ground clearance of 180mm and sits on 2422mm of wheelbase. It offers a cargo space of 300-litre.
– The 2018 Hyundai Santro is 3610mm long, which is 69mm less than the Kwid. It’s width and height stand at 1645mm and 1560mm respectively.
– Hyundai says that the wheelbase of the vehicle has been increased by 45mm, measuring 2400mm.
– The Kwid is slightly longer than the new Santro. Though, the latter is wider and taller. Read – New Hyundai Santro Vs Tata Tiago
New Hyundai Santro 2018 Vs Renault Kwid Features
– Renault’s hatchback comes with a host of comfort features including a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system, dual-tone dashboard, Champion Red upholstery, electric power steering, rear parcel tray, upper glove box and cabin lighting with timer and fade out.
– Recently, the carmaker also added a new chrome festooned gear knob, a rear 12V socket, updated power windows and a rear arm rest to the carline. Though, the aforementioned features vary model wise.
– On the exterior, the hatchback features a chrome front grille, electric ORVMs and LED DRLs (daytime running lights).
– Hyundai has equipped the new Santro with several segment-first features including a rear AC vents and a 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and MirrorLink connectivity and voice recognition function.
– The hatchback also claimed to have the best-in-class AC unit along with Hyundai’s ‘Eco Coating Technology’.
– The 2018 Hyundai Santro comes loaded with features such as twin-pod instrument console, a three-spoke steering wheel with mounted audio controls, adjustable headrests and electrically adjustable ORVMs.
– While the Kwid has crossover-ish and sporty stance, the new Santro continues to feature the tallboy stance.
New Hyundai Santro 2018 Vs Renault Kwid Safety Features
– Aiming to enhance the safety quotient of the Renault Kwid, the French carmaker has updated the rear seat belts with pre-tensioners and load limiters and introduced a reverse parking camera on the RXT (O) variant.
– The driver airbag and remote keyless entry with central locking are also reserved for the top-spec model.
– The central locking is now standard across the carline.
– The South Korean carmaker has equipped the new 2018 Hyundai Santro with driver-side airbag and anti-lock braking system (ABS) with electronic brake-force distribution (EBD), which are available across all trims.
Related Video – 2018 Hyundai Santro Quick Drive Impressions