The fifth generation Honda City sedan has been launched in our market. The City nameplate was first introduced in 1998 and since then, it has been the best-selling and most loved sedan in India. With more powerful engine, bigger size, all-new premium design and tech-loaded interior, the new 2020 Honda City is more desirable than ever.
The new Honda City is facing stiff competition from the likes of the 2020 Hyundai Verna and the Maruti Suzuki Ciaz. In this article, we bring you a specifications based comparison between the new City and the newly launched Verna facelift –
New City vs Verna Prices
The new City is available in petrol and diesel guise. While the petrol version is priced at Rs 10.90 lakh for base model and Rs 14.45 lakh for the top-end variant, the diesel City is available in price bracket of Rs 12.40 lakh – Rs 14.65 lakh.
– The new Hyundai Verna facelift is priced at Rs 9.30 lakh for base petrol and Rs 13.99 lakh for the top-end variant. On the other hand, the diesel model costs between Rs 10.65 lakh and Rs 15.10 lakh.
New City Vs Verna Dimensions
– The new-gen City is longer and wider than the previous model; however, the wheelbase remains the same. It measures 4,549mm in length, 1,748mm in width and 1,489mm in height, and has a wheelbase of 2,600mm.
– The new model is 109mm longer, 19mm wider and 14mm taller than the Verna sedan. In fact, the new City offers 26-litres bigger boot compared to the Korean rival.
City Vs Verna Engine Options
– The new Verna and City sedan are the only models in the mid-sized sedan segment to come with both petrol and diesel engine options.
– The new City comes equipped with a BSVI compliant 1.5L i-DTEC diesel engine producing 99bhp and 200Nm of torque. On the other hand, the Verna’s 1.5L diesel engine offers 113bhp and 250Nm of torque.
– Clearly, the Verna diesel engine is more powerful and torquier than the City’s i-DTEC unit. For transmission duties, the Verna diesel gets 6-speed manual and 6-speed torque convertor automatic. On the other hand, the City only comes with 6-speed manual gearbox.
– The 2020 Honda City petrol version is powered by a newly developed 1.5L, 4-cylinder DOHC engine that produces 120bhp and 145Nm of torque. On the other hand, the Verna is available with 2 petrol engine options – a 113bhp, 1.5L NA petrol and a 118bhp, 1.0L turbocharged petrol.
– The City petrol transmission options include a 6-speed manual and a 7-step CVT automatic. On the other hand, the Verna gets 6-speed MT as standard, a 6MT with 1.5L petrol and a 7-speed DCT with turbo-petrol unit.
New City Vs Verna Mileage
– In terms of fuel efficiency, the new City’s 1.5L petrol engine offers 17.8kmpl. On the other hand, the Verna’s petrol version offers 17.7kmpl.
– The diesel City is claimed to return an ARAI certified fuel economy of 24.1kmpl. The Verna diesel manual offers 25kmpl, while the diesel AT return 21.3kmpl.
– The petrol automatic version of the Honda City offers an ARAI certified fuel economy of 18.4kmpl. On the other hand, the Verna’s 1.5L diesel AT delivers 18.45kmpl and 1.0L DCT returns 19.2kmpl.
2020 Honda City Vs Verna Features
– The Hyundai Verna has always been one of the most feature-loaded sedans in its category. With new City, Honda has also offered several segment-first features.
– Both cars are equipped with LED headlamps with LED DRLs, LED projector fog lamps, LED tail-lamps, etc. However, the City’s turn indicators are LED Units. The new model rides on 16-inch machined alloy wheels.
– Both models get an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Some of the common features include leather upholstery, automatic climate control, tilt and telescopic adjustable steering, height adjustable driver’s seat, keyless entry with push button start, electric sunroof, cruise control and rear AC vents.
– With new City, Honda has introduced several new comfort and convenience features. It gets G-meter, all-4 power windows, electric sunroof, Alexa remote compatibility and lane watch camera. On the flip side, the new Verna gets ventilated front seats and wireless charger.