Feeling confident with the success of Tiago hatchback, Tata Motors is now ready to launch its second product on this platform - the Tata Kite 5 sub-compact sedan. The small sedan had received an excellent response from visitors and media at the Delhi Auto Expo in February 2016. Upon its launch, the Kite 5 will replace the Indigo eCS. Here we bring you some interesting bits about this mini sedan.
1. Old wine in a new bottle - The Tata Kite 5 sedan is based on the same, but slightly modified XO platform, which also underpins the Tiago. It will share most of its components with the Tiago and other siblings currently on sale.
2. Feature Rich - The vehicle will get more features than the Tiago sibling. The top-end model will get features like reverse parking camera, climate control, a rear centre armrest, a Harman-sourced touchscreen infotainment system, etc.
3. Looks better than most sub-compact sedans in India - The Tata Kite 5 mini sedan looks way better than most compact sedans currently on sale including Tata Zest. Instead of conventional sedan-like styling, the Kite 5 features a swooping fastback roofline. The shorter boot area has been smartly integrated and gives it a unique profile.
4. Small in size but big on boot space - This sub-4 metre sedan comes with a boot space of 420-litres, which is the biggest in its league. Currently, Hyundai Xcent offers a luggage space of 407-litres followed by Honda Amaze's 400-litre boot.
5. Powertrains to be shared with Tiago - Not just platform and features, the Tata Kite 5 also shares mechanics with the Tiago hatchback. While the petrol version will get a 1.2-litre Revotron petrol producing 84bhp, the oil burner will be a 1.05L 3-cylinder unit that is good for 69bhp.
6. Cheapest Automatic sedan - The smallest sedan will be offered in both manual and automatic transmission options. Instead of torque convertor, the Kite 5 is expected to get an AMT (Automated Manual Transmission). As you know, the company is currently offering AMT option in Zest sedan.
7. "IMPACT" Design Philosophy - The Tata Kite 5 will be the second product to feature Tata Motors' new "IMPACT" design philosophy. The front and side profiles of the sedan look largely identical to the Tiago. The stubby boot is the only thing which differentiates it from the hatchback. It comes with Zest-inspired headlights, grille and bumpers, fastback-like roofline, prominent window lines and stylish wrap around tail.
8. No Competition - Scheduled to be launched later this year, the Tata Kite 5 won't have any direct competitor in the market. Chevrolet's upcoming Essentia sedan will join the Kite 5 in this niche segment by mid 2017.