Datsun redi GO, the all-new product from Nissan's low-cost car brand, is now the most affordable offering in its segment where we have some really capable products like Maruti Alto 800 and Renault Kwid. Now that we have already driven the car, we tell you 10 interesting things about it.
1. Same platform as the Renault Kwid - Datsun redi GO is based on the same CMF-A platform that is also used for the Renault Kwid. For people not in the know, this platform was developed by Renault-Nissan Alliance and will be used for multiple entry-level cars in future. Since it's a light weight platform, it helps the vehicle return high fuel efficiency.
2. Impressive mileage - Along with the architecture, the Datsun redi GO will also share its engine with the kwid i.e. 799cc petrol. Couple to a 5-speed manual gearbox, this 3-cylinder powertrain produces 53bhp at 5678rpm and 72Nm at 4386rpm. The redi Go is claimed to return an impressive mileage of 25.17kmpl.
3. Most compact car in its category: With 3429mm length, 1560mm width, 1541mm height and with a wheelbase of 2348mm, the Datsun redi Go is the smallest car in its league.
4. Fastest car in its category - Despite the fact that it shares its platform with the Renault Kwid, the redi GO weighs about 25kg less than the former. And that is primarily due to its even more compact dimensions. The light weight of the car helps it sprint 0-100kmph in 15.98 seconds, which makes it the fastest car in its category. Renault Kwid, Maruti Alto and Hyundai Eon touch the 100kmph mark from zero in 16.87 seconds, 18.41 seconds and 18.63 seconds respectively.
5. Best-in-class braking performance - The Datsun redi GO is claimed to take the shortest distance, of all cars in its category, to take a halt when the brakes are pressed. The company says that the reiGO stops from 100kmph in 32.2 metres as against Renault Kwid, Hyundai Eon and Maruti Alto 800 that do the same in 33 metres, 33.7 metres and 34.3 metres respectively.
6. A head turner for sure - Coming to the Datsun redi-GO's design, it looks more or less similar to its concept that had made its debut at the Delhi Auto Expo in 2014. Upfront is the company's signature D-cut grille, sweptback headlamps with chrome bezels and LED daytime running lamps. With strong character lines, sculpted wheel arches and blacked pillars, its side profile too looks quite aggressive. The rear profile of the car is managed by vertical tail-lights, round-shaped reflectors and chrome strip on the gate. Overall, the redi-Go is surely a good looking product.
7. Most affordable car in its class - Priced between Rs 2.38 lakh - Rs 3.34 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi), the Datsun redi GO costs less than all of its rivals including the Alto 800, Renault Kwid and Hyundai Eon.
8. Best-in-class ground clearance - With a ground clearance of 185mm, the Datsun redi GO beats all of its rivals hands down in this department. Interestingly, this one offers more ground clearance than the Maruti S-Cross and Hyundai Creta.
9. A rather plain cabin, but comfortable - Step inside the car, and you'll see a rather simple all-grey cabin. It features a three-spoke steering wheel and a 1-DIN audio player. Thanks to its seat fabric and fairly good thigh support, it's one of the most comfortable cars in its category. The power window switches, however, are positioned quite awkwardly ahead of the gearbox.
10. The turning radius of 4.73 metres helps it manoeuvre in city traffic with ease.