Maintaining its reign in the Indian passenger car market, leading carmaker, Maruti Suzuki India clinched the top spot for the 13th consecutive year in the list of 10 best-selling cars in India in 2016-2017. The data released by Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) shows that 7 out of 10 models in the list belong to the Maruti clan opposed to six models in the previous year. The accrued passenger vehicle sales in India grew by 9.23% from 27,89,208 units to 30,46,727 units in FY17. Maruti alone sold 10,74,937 units of its seven best-selling models, that account for 35% of the total passenger car sales. In the last fiscal year, Maruti sold 14,43, 641 units, comprising 47.38% of total sales in the domestic passenger car space. Here are the top ten models with their sales break up in the FY17 that ended on 31st March.
1. Maruti Alto - Maruti’s bread and butter model, Alto continued its top slot despite decline in sales by 8.27% with 2,41,635 unit sales against the 2,63,422 units sold in the last fiscal.
2. Maruti WagonR - Sporting tallboy design, Maruti’s entry level B-segment hatchback took a leap to second position in the last fiscal with 1,72,346 units, reporting a growth of 1.64% opposed to the 1,69,555 units in the same time under review.
3. Maruti Swift Dzire - Segment leader Swift Dzire acquired third spot on the list with 14.63% decline in sales at 1,67,266 units compared to the 1,95,939 units in the previous year. With the third gen model launching on May 16, 2017, the sales are likely to revive.
4. Maruti Swift - Maruti’s flagship model slipped to fourth spot with 1,66,885 units as opposed to the 1,95,043 units in the previous year. Akin to its sedan twin, the hatchback is all set to witness a generation leap early next year. It is expected that the stellar model will bounce back in terms of sales as soon as its new model is launched in the market.
5. Hyundai Grand i10 - Hyundai’s best-selling hatchback, Grand i10 occupied fifth spot on 10 best-selling cars list in 2016-2017. The hatchback posted 1,46,228 unit sales during this period. Hyundai recently launched Grand i10 facelift with subtle cosmetic updated and a new 1.2-litre diesel engine.
6. Hyundai Elite i20 - Right behind Grand i10 is Hyundai’s premium Elite i20 with 1,26,304 units.
7. Maruti Baleno – The Elite i20 is trailed by its arch rival Maruti Baleno with 1,20,804 units.
8. Renault Kwid - On the 8th position is Renault’s game-changing Kwid model that sold 1,09,341 units.
9. Maruti Vitara Brezza - The ninth spot was occupied by Maruti Vitara Brezza that posted 1,08,640 units.
10. Maruti Celerio - And the last spot was taken by Maruti Celerio with 97,361 units in 2016-2017.