The Japanese carmaker Nissan's global compact SUV, the Kicks will be launched first in Brazil on the inaugural day of the 2016 Rio Olympics i.e. August 5, 2016. The company has plans to launch this vehicle in 80 global markets including India. Though the company hasn't revealed the exact India launch date of the vehicle, it said that there will be as many as 3 SUV/Crossovers in the next 3 years and the Kicks is one of them. We expect the Kicks to come towards the end of 2017 or early 2018. Image Courtesy - Noticias Automotivas
1. Nissan Kicks is based on the company's tried & tested V platform which is the same that is used for the Micra and Sunny in India.
2. The production-ready model of the vehicle is based on the Kicks concept that was first showcased at the 2014 Sao Paulo Auto Show. The concept was designed jointly by Nissan's San Diego, California and Brazil based design studio satellites under the leadership of Nissan Global Design Center, Japan.
3. With features such as high ground clearance, sculpted bumpers, several creases on either sides, roof rails and black plastic cladding on the lower part of the body give it a muscular and crossover-ish stance. The vehicle's front too looks decent with Nissan's signature V-shaped grille, horizontally-positioned LED fog lamps, wide airdam, and sweptback headlamps.
4. Thanks to the dual-tone dashboard, half portion of which is covered in leather stuff, the vehicle's cabin looks quite pleasing. In fact, you can notice the heavy use of leather at door panels too.
5. Other interesting elements include a three-spoke steering wheel with flat bottom, a large touch-screen infotainment system with navigation support, two large bottle holders on doors, all leather seats, rectangular vents, etc.
6. The Nissan Kicks is 4,295mm long, 1,760mm wide, 1590mm high, and has a wheelbase of 2,610mm. This makes the car bigger than the Hyundai Creta. Though it is yet unclear if the model coming to India will retain the same dimensions or there will be a sub-4 metre version of it.
7. Some key features on offer will be anti-lock braking system, electronic brakeforce distribution, airbags for all passengers, 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system with around view monitor, engine start/stop button, instrument cluster with MID, automatic climate control, electrically adjustable/foldable rear view mirors, etc.
8. While the Brazil-spec model of the Nissan Kicks will get a 1.6-litre flex-fuel (petrol & ethanol) engine, there is no official word on the engines to be offered in India. The company, however, has an option to use the 1.5-litre diesel mill that currently powers several Nissan cars in the country.