2018 Mahindra XUV500 facelift is finally here. Priced at Rs 12.32 (ex-showroom, Delhi), the updated model of the SUV has received significant upgrades inside and out. Mechanically, too, the car has been revised with a more powerful 155bhp, 2.2L mHawk diesel engine. With all these updates, the 2018 XUV500 will continue to take on the Jeep Compass and the Tata Hexa.
The SUV segment in India is currently the highly contested space with a slew of models in the pipeline. Tata Motors, too, joined the bandwagon with the Hexa in January, 2017. Here, we bring you a spec-based comparison between Tata Hexa and its arch Mahindra XUV500. Take a look at what these muscular beasts have on offer. Read – 2018 Mahindra XUV500 Vs Jeep Compass
Related Video – 2018 Mahindra XUV500 Review
2018 Mahindra XUV500 Vs Tata Hexa – Price
|Model Name||Ex-showroom, Delhi||Ex-showroom, Delhi|
|2018 Mahindra XUV500||Rs 12.32 lakh||Rs 15.43 lakh|
|Tata Hexa||Rs 12.49 lakh||Rs 17.89 lakh|
– The Hexa is the second Tata product based on the IMPACT design philosophy, first was the Tiago. The new Tata SUV sits on the Aria’s platform, and looks quite premium and aggressive.
– Having gone wrong with Aria’s pricing, Tata has priced the Hexa quite competitively. Currently, the SUV comes in the price range of Rs 12.49 lakh – Rs 17.89 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).
– On the other hand, the 2018 Mahindra XUV500 gets cheaper than its predecessor.
– Prices of the refreshed version of the SUV start from Rs 12.32 lakh for the entry-level diesel model and go up to Rs 15.43 lakh for the range-topping model.
– While the base variant of the 2018 XUV500 is around Rs 17,000 less expensive, the top-spec trim is Rs 2.46 lakh cheaper than the Hexa.
2018 Mahindra XUV500 Vs Tata Hexa – Specifications
|Specifications||2018 Mahindra XUV500||Tata Hexa|
|Petrol Engine||2.2L mHawk||NA|
|Transmission||6-speed MT & AT||–|
|Diesel Engine||2.2L mHawk||2.2L/2.2L Varicor|
|Transmission||6-speed MT & AT||6-speed MT & AT|
– For the 2018 model year, the Mahindra XUV500 receives a more powerful 2.2-litre, four-cylinder mHawk diesel engine with the new-generation EVGT (electronically controlled variable geometry turbocharger). Offered exclusively on the top-spec variant, this motor dishes out a peak power of 155bhp at 3,750rpm and 360Nm of torque between 1,750rpm-2,800rpm.
– Other than the 2.2 litre unit, the SUV is also available with the 2.2-litre, mHawk petrol powertrain generating 140bhp with 320Nm of torque.
– There are two transmissions on offer – a 6-speed automatic and 6-speed automatic. Besides, it comes with two-wheel and four-wheel drivetrain options.
– The Hexa SUV comes with two diesel engine options – a 2.2-litre, 4-cylinder VARICOR 400 and a 2.2-litre VARICOR 320. The entry level XE variant comes equipped with the 2.2 litre VARICOR 320 motor churning out 148bhp at 4,000rpm and 320Nm between 1,700 to 2,700rpm.
– As we go up in the carline, the XM and XT trims are packed with the 2.2 litre VARICOR 400 unit producing power worth 154.2bhp at 4,000rpm and 400Nm of torque between 1,700 to 2,700rpm.
– The SUV has been made available with three transmission options-the 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual and 6-speed automatic. Additionally, it also gets a 4X4 drivetrain along with the standard 4×2 drive system.
2018 Mahindra XUV500 Vs Tata Hexa – Mileage
|2018 Mahindra XUV500||13.8kmpl-16kmpl||10kmpl|
– Powered by the 2.2 litre VARICOR 400 and 320 engines, Tata Hexa gives an impressive fuel economy. The SUV returns a mileage around 13kmpl – 14kmpl in city, and over 17.6kmpl on freeways.
– With a more powerful diesel engine, the 2018 Mahindra XUV500 delivers fuel economy of 13.8kmpl on urban roads and 16kmpl in highways. The petrol version of the SUV uses the same old powertrain, and returns a claimed mileage of 10kmpl.
2018 Mahindra XUV500 Vs Tata Hexa – Dimensions
|Dimensions||2018 Mahindra XUV500||Tata Hexa|
– The boastful dimensions testify to the muscular built of the new Tata Hexa. The overall length of Hexa is measured at 4,780mm as opposed to XUV500’s 4,585mm.
– There is a slight difference in the width with Hexa gauging 1,895mm and XUV500 at 1,890mm. This makes the new Tata SUV longer and wider than the Mahindra XUV500. Similarly, there is an insignificant difference of 5mm in the height of both the SUVs with Hexa taking the lead.
– Yet another important aspect is the wheelbase, where Hexa drives past XUV500 by 150mm.
2018 Mahindra XUV500 Vs Tata Hexa – Features
– Mahindra’s premium SUV was one of the first models in its space to equip advanced tech missing in rivals.
– On the exterior, the 2018 Mahindra XUV500 gets a new larger chrome surrounded front grille, new projector headlamps with LED DRLs, revised front bumper with a bigger central airdam, fog lamps with chrome accents and the standard 17-inch wheels (optional 18-inch alloys).
– With new dual tone (Black & Grey) treatment and revised seat upholstery in new quilted tan and black dual-tone leather, the interior of the 2018 XUV500 looks more premium than before.
– The top-spec variant in the carline benefits from advanced features such as a sunroof, electrically adjustable driver seat, push button start and a reverse parking camera. There is a dashboard integrated 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto, Connected Apps and Ecosense support. It also comes with GPS, USB and Bluetooth connectivity.
– Talking about the safety features, 2018 Mahindra XUV500 gets all primary equipment including six airbags, ESP with rollover mitigation system, hill decent and hold function, ABS with EBD etc.
– Feature-wise, Tata Hexa is a rich car, packed with a bunch of in-cabin and safety equipment. For the comfort of occupants, the top-spec Hexa variant offers captain seats with arm rests, touchscreen display with arm rests, instrument panel with multi-information display, touchscreen display for infotainment system and park assist with navigation.
– In addition to aforementioned features, it is also equipped with ambient LED mood lighting, leather seats and automatic climate control. On the safety front, Hexa gets dual airbags and ABS with EBD.