New-generation Maruti Suzuki Swift recently launched in India at the 2018 Auto Expo. The hatchback has entered in its third generation with comprehensive exterior and interior updates. On the mechanical front, it retains the same 1.2 litre K-series petrol and 1.3 litre DDiS diesel, which are tuned to yield better performance and fuel economy. Maruti has also introduced the AMT (Automated Manual Transmission) to the new 2018 Swift (VXi/ZXi petrol and VDi/ZDi diesel variants only) lineup that were missing on the previous generation. Major change comes in the form of the Suzuki’s HEARTECT platform that makes the 2018 Maruti Swift lighter, stiffer, safer and more frugal than the old model.
The transition into the new generation has resulted in multitudinous changes and we find out what is new in the 2018 Maruti Swift as we pit both the models against each other (New Maruti Swift Vs Old Swift).
New Maruti Swift Launched At Auto Expo 2018
New Maruti Swift Vs Old Swift Prices
|Old Maruti Swift (Ex, Delhi)||2018 Maruti Swift (Ex, Delhi)|
|Rs 4.75 lakh||Rs 4.99 lakh|
|Rs 7.43 lakh||Rs 8.29 lakh|
– The previous generation Swift was priced at Rs 4.75 lakh for the base petrol variant and Rs 7.43 lakh for the top-spec diesel variant ((ex-showroom, Delhi).
– Sporting an all-new design, more feature-loaded cabin and efficient engine setup, the new Maruti Swift 2018 is slightly more expensive than the old model. While the base variant of the new model is around Rs 24,000 pricier than the old one, there is a difference of around Rs 86,000 between the range-topping model. Check Out – Upcoming Maruti Cars in India
New Maruti Swift Vs Old Swift Specifications
|Specifications||Old Maruti Swift||2018 Maruti Swift|
|Engine||1.2L K-Series Petrol & 1.3L DDiS Diesel||1.2L K-Series Petrol & 1.3L DDiS Diesel|
|Power||83bhp @ 6,000rpm||83bhp @ 6,000rpm|
|Torque||115Nm @ 4,000rpm||115Nm @ 4,000rpm|
|Transmission||5-speed Manual||5-speed MT & AMT|
– Under the hood, the 2018 Maruti Swift retains the old powertrain setup. The carline makes use of the same 1.2 litre K-Series petrol and 1.3 litre DDiS diesel engines powering the old Swift.
– Although, these engines have been tuned aiding improved mileage and performance.
– As for the old Swift, it sources power from the same engines, the 1.2 litre K-Series gasoline unit churns out a top power of 83bhp at 6,000rpm and 115Nm of torque at 4,000rpm. And the 1.3 litre DDiS oil burner generates power worth 74bhp at 4,000rpm, while yielding a top torque of 190Nm at 2,000rpm.
– The Swift comes with two gearbox options – the conventional 5-speed manual unit and an AMT. Though, the latter one is available on select variants (VXi/ZXi petrol and VDi/ZDi diesel). Read – Maruti Swift RS Might Debut At 2018 Auto Expo
New Maruti Swift Vs Old Swift Mileage
|Old Maruti Swift||2018 Maruti Swift|
|20.4kmpl (Petrol)||20.4kmpl (Petrol)|
|25.2kmpl (Diesel)||28.4kmpl (Diesel)|
– Sharing its underpinnings with Baleno, the new Maruti Swift 2018 is slightly lighter and skimming some weight than the old model.
– Tuned engines on the new Swift altogether with lighter body aides for improved fuel economy, deliver 22kmpl as against 20.4kmpl claimed for the petrol engine and 28.4kmpl opposed to the 25.2kmpl for the oil burner. Check Out – New Maruti Swift Explained in Pictures
New Maruti Swift Vs Old Swift Exterior
– Revered for its sporty looks since the introduction, Swift underwent comprehensive design changes in the previous generation leap with newly designed headlamps, tail-lamps and other bits giving it a sharp look.
– While the Maruti Swift 2018 retains the original silhouette, it gets new design elements that bring about copious change to the exterior.
– Most of the updates have been made on the face of the car. The new model features newly designed LED projector headlamps with integrated L-shaped LED DRLs, new hexagonal mesh grille with chrome lining and redesigned fog lamps on the bumper.
– The side profile remains largely the same and carries over the blacked-out A and B pillars. On the other hand, the blacked-out C-pillar gives the floating roof effect. What’s interesting here are the C-pillar integrated rear door handles as we have seen in the Mahindra KUV100 NXT.
– Rear profile also gets new styling elements like the larger rear windscreen, sharper spoiler atop, revised bumper, new roof spoiler and relatively smaller tail lamps and windscreen. Additionally, the range-topping variants also come with the LED tail-lamps.
– The 2018 Maruti Swift also gets a new Prime Lucent Orange exterior colour scheme along with the existing five colour options. Read – Maruti Swift Hybrid Might Come To India
New Maruti Swift Vs Old Swift Dimensions
|Dimensions||Old Maruti Swift||2018 Maruti Swift|
– In terms of proportions, the new Swift (New Maruti Siwft 2018 in India) is 3,840mm long, 1,735mm wide and 1,530mm tall. Stacked against the old Swift, the 2018 Maruti Swift is 10mm shorter and 40mm wider.
– The wheelbase, on the other hand, has been extended by 20mm measuring 2,450mm.
– Ground clearance of the Maruti Swift 2018 stands at 163mm, which is 7mm less than the previous generation.
– Compared to the old model, the 2018 Swift offers 28% extra boot space. Its luggage storage capacity has been increased by 58-litres. Read – 2018 Maruti Swift Sport India Launch On The Cards
New Maruti Swift Vs Old Swift Interior
– Compared to the old Swift, the new Maruti Swift 2018 has sportier and more premium interior. Inside, the car gets an all-black colour theme, newly designed dashboard and a new flat-bottomed steering wheel with mounted buttons.
– Other additions to the cabin include new round AC vents as against the rectangular vents in the old Swift and circular HVAC controls on the centre console.
– The 2018 Maruti Swift gets a new touchscreen SmartPlay infotainment system with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and Mirror Link. This system also supports navigation system, Bluetooth audio streaming and built voice recognition. Read: Maruti Vitara SUV Launch Details Revealed
New Maruti Swift Vs Old Swift Features
– On the feature front, the new Swift is surely richer than the previous model with new equipment on the outside and inside. Starting with the outer fitments, the new Swift gets the new hexagonal grille, replacing the two-part grille in the old model.
– The swooping headlamps are left out for the sleeker automatic LED projector units (on top-spec variants) and rear sports new wraparound tail-lamps.
– Blacked-out A & B pillars are carried over from the old Swift, in addition to that it gets blackened C-pillar with integrated rear door handles, lending the floating roof effect.
– Other exterior equipment include rear wiper & washer, halogen fog lamps and rear fog lamps.
– The rear door handles on the new Swift are now placed on the C-pillar unlike the old Swift.
– Interior looks plusher with black colour scheme classing up the cabin.
– Equipment level on the inside is higher than the old Swift, packing features like new flat-bottomed steering wheel with contemporary mounted buttons, new HVAC controls with circular vents placed on the centre console, two-pod instrument dials with a large MID and contrasting trims on dashboard & door panels.
– A new touchscreen SmartPlay entertainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is a new addition over the conventional audio system on the current model and a voice command & navigation system are also included.
– Safety features as dual front airbags, Anti-lock braking system (ABS) with Electronic brake-force distribution (EBD) and brake assist and ISOFIX child seat anchors are now standard on the 2018 Swift.
– It also gets seat belt warning lamps, front seat belt with pre-tensioner and force limiter. Read – Maruti WagonR Set For A Generation Change
New 2018 Maruti Swift Picture Gallery