With the launch of Baleno, the Hyundai Elite i20 got a genuine rival and since then, it has been a tug of war between the two. The competition gets fiercer with the arrival of the Hyundai Elite i20 facelift that made its entry at the Auto Expo 2018. Addressing issues of the old model, the facelifted i20 witnessed subtle cosmetic and feature upgrades. It is rather confusing for buyers to choose the best out of these two cars. So to help you, we have come up with a specifications-based comparison between these two segment leaders (2018 Hyundai Elite i20 Vs Maruti Baleno). Have a look –
Video – 2018 Hyundai Elite i20 Vs Maruti Baleno Comparison
2018 Hyundai Elite i20 Vs Maruti Baleno Price
|Maruti Baleno||Rs 5.35 lakh to Rs 8.49 lakh|
|New Hyundai Elite i20||Rs 5.34 lakh to Rs 9.15 lakh|
– Price of Hyundai Elite i20 petrol starts at Rs 5.34 lakh, and it goes all the way up to Rs 7.90 lakh. Whereas the diesel trims are available between Rs 6.73 lakh to Rs 9.15 lakh (all, ex-showroom Delhi). The updated version of the hatchback is slightly more expensive than its predecessor.
– The Maruti Baleno petrol line-up is priced in the range of Rs 5.35 lakh to Rs 8.40 lakh and the diesel variants cost between Rs 6.51 lakh – Rs 8.49 lakh (all, ex-showroom, Delhi).
– The petrol base model of the Baleno is around Rs 1,000 pricier than the new Elite i20 facelift. Though, the range-topping Baleno petrol is about Rs 65,000 cheaper than its rival. On the contrary, the entry-level and top-spec Baleno diesel models are about Rs 22,000 and Rs 66,000 less expensive than the new Elite i20 respectively.
2018 Hyundai Elite i20 Vs Maruti Baleno Specifications
|Specifications||2018 Hyundai i20||Maruti Baleno|
|Petrol Engine||1.2-litre Kappa & 1.4-litre Dual VTVT||1.2-litre K-Series|
|Power||81.83bhp & 98.5bhp||83.1bhp|
|Torque||114Nm & 132Nm||115Nm|
|Diesel Engine||1.4-litre CRDi||1.3L MJD|
|Transmission||5-Speed MT & 6-speed MT||5-speed manual & CVT|
– Mechanically, the new Hyundai Elite i20 remains unchanged. It continues to use the 1.2-litre Kappa Dual VTVT petrol engine that’s good enough for 82bhp and 114Nm. The diesel line-up, on the other hand, derives its power from a 1.4-litre CRDi motor churning out 88.73bhp and 219Nm of torque.
– Transmission options on the new i20 include a 5-speed and a 6-speed manual gearbox.
– Maruti Suzuki Baleno is available with a 1.2-litre VVT petrol and a 1.3-litre DDiS oil burner in a 5-speed manual and CVT transmission options. The petrol unit delivers 84bhp with 115Nm of torque, and the diesel mill offers 73.9bhp with 190Nm of torque.
– While the petrol engine of the Baleno is slightly more powerful than the i20, it’s Hyundai’s hatchback that offers more powerful with diesel motor. The South Korean carmaker will soon introduce a CVT gearbox on the Elite i20. Read More – Maruti Baleno Vs Tata Tigor
2018 Hyundai Elite i20 Vs Maruti Baleno Mileage
|New Hyundai i20||20.3kmpl||22.5kmpl|
– In terms of fuel economy, it’s the Maruti Suzuki Baleno that takes a lead over the new Elite i20.
– The Elite i20’s petrol engine is claimed to deliver 18.6kmpl and the diesel powered model is rated at 22.5kmpl.
– Maruti Baleno powered by the petrol engine promises a mileage of 21.4kmpl and the diesel version delivers 27.39kmpl.
2018 Hyundai Elite i20 Vs Maruti Baleno Dimensions
|Dimensions||Maruti Baleno||2018 Hyundai Elite i20|
– Maruti Baleno is bigger in dimensions than the new Elite i20.
– Similar to the old model, the 2018 Hyundai Elite i20 offers 50mm longer wheelbase compared to Maruti Baleno.
– In terms of luggage compartment, Maruti Baleno offers 44L more space as against new Hyundai i20. Read More- Maruti Baleno Vs Honda Jazz
2018 Hyundai Elite i20 Vs Maruti Baleno Features
|Key Features||2018 Hyundai i20||Maruti Baleno|
|Rear AC Vents||Yes||No|
|Touchscreen Infotainment system||Yes||Yes|
|Height adj. driver seat||Yes||Yes|
|Steering mounted audio & calling controls||Yes||Yes|
|Apple CarPlay & Android Auto||Yes||Apple CarPlay|
|Rear wiper & washer||Yes||Yes|
– Interior of the new Hyundai i20 has been revised with minor updates.
– The car now gets a new larger touchscreen infotainment system with inbuilt navigation and smartphone connectivity like Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Though, it is offered only on the range-topping variants.
-Infotainment features are missing on the base variants in i20’s line-up.
– The instrument cluster is slightly revised too.
– Except for the base variant, Hyundai i20 gets rear air con vents across line-up.
– The base variants get front power windows with timelag, manual AC, electric power steering, clutch footrest, power outlet etc.
– While the fully-loaded top-spec variant packs in push button start/stop, auto up-down & pinch guard for driver side, rear wiper & washer, luggage lamp and welcome function on wing mirrors.
-On the Maruti Baleno line-up, the base Sigma trims miss out on infotainment features.
-The top-spec Alpha variants come with Maruti’s SmartPlay infotainment system, navigation system, voice command, Apple CarPlay & remote control through smartphone App.
-Steering mounted audio controls, Bluetooth and AUX &USB are available from Delta onwards.
-Maruti’s Smartplay system is available with a software update for Android Auto & new maps for navigation system.
2018 Hyundai Elite i20 Vs Maruti Baleno Safety Features
|Key Features||2018 Hyundai i20||Maruti Baleno|
|Dual Front Airbags||Yes||Yes|
|ABS with EBD||Yes||Yes|
|Rear Parking Camera||Yes||Yes|
|Speed Sensing Auto Door lock||Yes||No|
|Reverse parking sensor||Yes||Yes|
|All Disc brakes||No||No|
|NCAP Ratings||NA||4-STAR (EURO NCAP 2015)|
– 2018 Hyundai i20 range gets standard dual front airbags, while side & curtain airbags are available only with the range topping trim.
– ABS is missing in the Era, Magna and Magna AT variants.
– Other standard features include central locking, smart pedal, impact sensing auto door unlock & seat belt pretensioners for front seats.
– Features such as automatic headlamps, reverse parking camera and sensors, speed sensing auto door lock, clutch lock, dead pedal, keyless entry with smart key and height adjustable front seatbelts are specific to the top-of-the-line Asta (O) variant.
– The Baleno carline comes with standard dual front airbags, ABS with EBD, seat belt pre-tensioners with force safe limiters, ISOFIX child seat anchorages and pedestrian protection.
– Reverse parking camera is restricted to the top-spec Alpha trim.
– Maruti Suzuki Baleno was crash tested by EURO NCAP in 2016 wherein it scored 3-star rating.
2018 Hyundai Elite i20 Picture Gallery
2018 Hyundai Elite i20 Vs Maruti Baleno Exterior & Interior
Designed on Hyundai’s new Fluidic V2.0 design theme, the new Elite i20 looks more refreshing and sportier than the previous model. It gets a new black cascading grille, newly-designed headlamps with new LED daytime running lights and revised front bumper with integrated new arrowhead fog lamps. The car also features bold shoulder lines and bonnet creases, a floating roof new sculpted hatch door, new taillamp cluster, all-new rear bumper with large matte black insert and reflectors and other design elements. The 2018 Elite i20 has been assembled with diamond cut alloy wheels. Hyundai also introduced a new Flame Orange shade on the carline along with the regular colour schemes.
The Maruti Baleno, on the other hand, is more spacious and feature-loaded than the new Swift. The hatchback offers an excellent legroom and headroom for both front and rear occupants, thanks to its 2,520mm long wheelbase.
The top-end variant is equipped with the segment first 7-inch SmartPlay infotainment system with Apple CarPlay, while LCD display on instrument panel, 2-DIN audio system, navigation system, Bluetooth connectivity, automatic climate control, etc come as standard features. Safety features like dual airbags (Driver & Co-Driver) and ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System) with EBD (Electronic BrakeForce Distribution) come as standard across all variants of the hatchback.
Talking about 2018 Hyundai Elite i20 interiors, the vehicle is quite practical and well-equipped from inside. The new model continues to feature the dashboard in dual-tone black-beige scheme. The seats are comfortable, and offer ample under-thigh and neck support. As mentioned above, the new i20 gets new infotainment cluster with a larger touchscreen panel. It has inbuilt navigation system and supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Other feature on offer are steering adaptive parking assist, rear air-con vents, multi-functional steering wheel, height adjustable driver’s seat, cruise control, 2-DIN audio system with 1GB internal memory, etc.
Latest Video – 2018 Hyundai Elite i20 Review