Maruti Baleno Vs Hyundai Elite i20 – Here is a specifications based comparison between the two premium hatchbacks.
Here is a specifications based comparison between Maruti Baleno and Hyundai Elite i20
While the Swift’s popularity is unprecedented in India, Maruti Suzuki India launched the Baleno to dominate the premium hatchback segment. With the launch of Baleno, Hyundai Elite i20 got a genuine rival and since the, it has been a tug of war between the two. It is rather confusing for buyers to choose the best out of these two cars. So to help you, we have come up with a specifications-based comparison between these two segment leader. Have a look –
|Model||Price (ex-showroom Delhi)|
|Maruti Baleno||Rs 5.26 lakh to Rs 8.42 lakh|
|Hyundai Elite i20||Rs 5.31 lakh to Rs 8.97 lakh|
– Price of Hyundai Elite i20 petrol starts at Rs 5,31,558 lakh, and it goes all the way upto Rs 8,97,012 lakh. Whereas the diesel trims are available between Rs 6,60,967 lakh to Rs 8,97,065.
– The Maruti Baleno petrol line-up is priced in the range of Rs 5.26 lakh to Rs 7.63 lakh and the diesel variants cost between Rs 6.43 lakh – Rs 8.42 lakh (all prices ex-showroom, Delhi).
|Specifications||Hyundai i20||Maruti Baleno|
|Petrol Engines||1.2-litre Kappa & 1.4-litre Dual VTVT||1.2-litre K-Series|
|Power||81.83bhp & 98.5bhp||83.1bhp|
|Torque||114Nm & 132Nm||115Nm|
|Diesel Engines||1.4-litre CRDi||1.3L MJD Diesel|
|Transmission||5-Speed MT, 6-speed MT & 4-speed AT||5-speed manual & CVT|
– Hyundai Elite i20 uses a 1.2-litre engine to power its petrol range. The diesel line-up derives its power from a 1.4-litre unit.
– Transmission options include two manuals and one automatic gearbox.
– Maruti Suzuki Baleno is being offered with a 1.2-litre petrol and a 1.3-litre oil burner in manual and CVT transmission options. Read More – Maruti Baleno Vs Tata Tigor
|Name of the Car||Petrol Mileage||Diesel Mileage|
– The Elite i20’s petrol engine is claimed to deliver 18.6kmpl.
– Diesel powered i20 is rated at 22.5kmpl.
– Maruti Baleno powered by the petrol engine is rated at 21.4kmpl and the diesel version at 27.39kmpl.
|Dimensions||Maruti Baleno||Hyundai Elite i20|
– Maruti Baleno is bigger in dimensions than the Elite i20.
– Hyundai Elite i20 offers 50mm longer wheelbase compared to Maruti Baleno.
– In terms of luggage compartment, Maruti Baleno offers 44L more space as against Hyundai i20. Read More- Maruti Baleno Vs Honda Jazz
|Key Features||Hyundai i20||Maruti Baleno|
|Rear AC Vents||Yes||No|
|Touchscreen Infotainment system||Yes||Yes|
|Height adj. driver seat||Yes||Yes|
|Steering mounted audio & calling controls||Yes||Yes|
|Apple CarPlay & Android Auto||Yes||Apple CarPlay|
|Rear wiper & washer||Yes||Yes|
– Except for the base variant, Hyundai i20 gets rear air con vents across line-up.
– The base variants get front power windows with timelag, manual AC, electric power steering, clutch footrest, power outlet etc.
– While the fully-loaded top-spec variant packs in push button start/stop, auto up-down & pinch guard for driver side, rear wiper & washer, luggage lamp and welcome function on wing mirrors.
-Infotainment features are missing on the base variants in i20’s line-up.
-While touchscreen with video navigation system, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto & Mirror Link are offered only on the top two variants.
-On the Maruti Baleno line-up, the base Sigma trims miss out on infotainment features.
-The top-spec Alpha variants come with Maruti’s SmartPlay infotainment system, navigation system, voice command, Apple CarPlay & remote control through smartphone App.
-Steering mounted audio controls, Bluetooth and AUX &USB are available from Delta onwards.
-Maruti’s Smartplay system is available with a software update for Android Auto & new maps for navigation system.
|Key Features||Hyundai i20||Maruti Baleno|
|Dual Front Airbags||Yes||Yes|
|ABS with EBD||Yes||Yes|
|Rear Parking Camera||Yes||Yes|
|Speed Sensing Auto Door lock||Yes||No|
|Reverse parking sensor||Yes||Yes|
|All Disc brakes||No||No|
|NCAP Ratings||NA||4-STAR (EURO NCAP 2015)|
– Hyundai i20 range gets standard dual front airbags, while side & curtain airbags are available only with the range topping trim.
– ABS is missing in the Era, Magna and Magna AT variants.
– Other standard features include central locking, smart pedal, impact sensing auto door unlock & seat belt pretensioners for front seats.
– Features such as automatic headlamps, speed sensing auto door lock, clutch lock, keyless entry with smart key and height adjustable front seatbelts are specific to the top-of-the-line Asta (O) variant.
– Baleno carline comes with standard dual front airbags, ABS with EBD, seat belt pre-tensioners with force safe limiters, ISOFIX child seat anchorages and pedestrian protection.
– Reverse parking camera is restricted to the top-spec Alpha trim.
– Maruti Suzuki Baleno was crash tested by EURO NCAP in 2016 wherein it scored 3-star rating.
-Euro NCAP crash tested 2015 version of i20 with 1.2-litre engine and awarded 4-star rating. One must note this model is not sold in India.
Designed on Hyundai’s new Fluidic V2.0 design theme, the Elite i20 looks more refreshing and sportier than the previous model. It gets forward leaning stance, and features a wide air intake with mesh design and chrome surrounds grille that look similar to the one found in the Grand i10. The car also features wide swept back headlamps with integrated reflectors, bold shoulder lines and bonnet creases, a floating roof and other design elements.
The 2015 Baleno is more spacious and feature-loaded than the Swift. The hatchback offers an excellent legroom and headroom for both front and rear occupants, thanks to its 2,520mm long wheelbase. The top-end variant is equipped with the segment first 7-inch SmartPlay infotainment system with Apple CarPlay, while LCD display on instrument panel, 2-DIN audio system, navigation system, Bluetooth connectivity, automatic climate control, etc come as standard features. Safety features like dual airbags (Driver & Co-Driver) and ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System) with EBD (Electronic BrakeForce Distribution) come as standard across all variants of the hatchback.
Talking about Hyundai Elite i20 interiors, the vehicle is quite practical and well-equipped from inside. It sports a stylish dashboard in dual-tone black-beige scheme. The seats are comfortable, and offer ample under-thigh and neck support. Feature on offer are steering adaptive parking assist, rear air-con vents, multi-functional steering wheel, height adjustable driver’s seat, cruise control, 2-DIN audio system with 1GB internal memory, etc.