New Hyundai Verna 2017 Vs Honda City – a spec based comparison between the two popular mid-sized sedans
New Hyundai Verna 2017 Vs Honda City - A Spec Based Comparison
Triggering a war in the mid-size sedan segment, Maruti Ciaz turned out to be a game changer for the company that had been struggling to carve a niche spot in this space with models like SX4 and Baleno (defunct sedan model). While the top two players, Honda City and Hyundai Verna were indulged in a tug of war, Maruti Ciaz captured a huge chunk of the segment within no time. As Hyundai plans to bring in the heavily changed new-generation Verna next month, we pit it against Maruti Suzuki Ciaz in a spec-based comparison to discern if Verna could regain the top slot. Check out 2017 Hyundai Verna Vs Maruti Ciaz price, specifications, features and other details.
|Name of the Car||Price|
|2017 Hyundai Verna||Rs 9 lakh to Rs 14 lakh (estimated)|
|Maruti Suzuki Ciaz petrol||Rs 7.65 lakh to Rs 10.41 lakh|
|Maruti Suzuki Ciaz Diesel SHVS||Rs 9.42 lakh to Rs 11.44 lakh|
– With prominent visual changes and a more upmarket, feature packed cabin, the new-generation Verna is expected to witness slight hike in price.
– We expect the model to fall in the price vicinity of Rs 9 lakh to Rs 14 lakh (ex-showroom price).
– On the other hand, the petrol-powered Ciaz is priced between Rs 7.65 lakh to Rs 10.41 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).
– Diesel range with Maruti’s SHVS technology recently received a massive hike in price which now starts from Rs 9.42 lakh and goes up to Rs 11.44 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). Read More – 2017 Hyundai Verna Vs Honda City
|Specifications||2017 Hyundai Verna||Maruti Suzuki Ciaz|
|Petrol Engines||1.4-litre & 1.6-litre||1.4-litre K-Series|
|Power||105 & 121bhp||91bhp|
|Torque||135 & 155Nm||130Nm|
|Diesel Engines||1.4-litre & 1.6-litre||1.3-litre DDiS 200 SHVS|
|Power||89 & 126bhp||88.5bhp|
|Torque||220 & 260Nm||200Nm|
|Transmission||5-speed MT, 6-speed MT & 6-speed AT||5-speed & 4-speed AT|
– The new Hyundai Verna carline will continue to use 1.4-litre & 1.6-litre engines in petrol and diesel fuel options.
– Transmission options on the third-gen Verna line-up will include 5-speed & 6-speed manuals with an optional 6-speed automatic gearbox.
– Power on the Maruti Suzuki Ciaz is sourced from the 1.4-litre K-Series petrol and 1.3-litre DDiS oil burner with SHVS technology.
– The Ciaz carline comes with 5-speed manual and 4-speed automatic gearbox. Also See – Hyundai Verna 2017 Exterior and Interior Pictures
|Name of the Car||Petrol Mileage||Diesel Mileage|
|2017 Hyundai Verna||17-18kmpl (estimated)||19-25 kmpl (estimated)|
|Maruti Ciaz||20.73 kmpl (MT) & 19.12 kmpl (AT)||28.09 kmpl|
– The new Hyundai Verna with 1.4-litre petrol engine is estimated to return 18kmpl against the 1.6-litre unit that is rated at 17kmpl
– Diesel-powered Verna on the other hand is expected to deliver 25kmpl (1.4-litre engine) and 19kmpl (1.6-litre engine).
– The Maruti Ciaz petrol is claimed to return 20.73kmpl in manual and 19.12 kmpl in automatic version.
– The diesel powered Ciaz with SHVS technology delivers ARAI rated fuel economy of 28.09kmpl. Read More – New Hyundai Verna Vs Old Verna
2017 Hyundai Verna Vs Maruti Ciaz Dimensions
|Dimensions||2017 Hyundai Verna||Maruti Suzuki Ciaz|
– The new Hyundai Verna will receive dimensional changes, measuring 15mm longer to 4,385mm and 29mm wider to 1,729mm.
– To make more space inside the cabin, the wheelbase will be extended by 10mm to 2,580mm. In terms of height, the new-gen model will be 1,450mm tall.
– Maruti Suzuki Ciaz on the other hand sports slightly larger dimensions measuring 4,490mm long, 1,730mm wide and 1,485mm high. The wheelbase is considerably longer than Verna at 2,650mm.
– Boasting larger dimensions, Ciaz offer boot space of 510L. The new Verna will witness an increase by 15L, thereby offering more storage space.
|Key Features||2017 Hyundai Verna||Maruti Suzuki Ciaz|
|Rear AC Vents||Yes||Yes|
|Touchscreen Infotainment system||Yes||Yes|
|Height adj. driver seat||Yes||Yes|
|Steering mounted audio & calling controls||Yes||Yes|
|Apple CarPlay & Android Auto||Yes||No|
|Navigation system & Voice command||Yes||Yes|
|Rain sensing wipers||Yes||No|
– The new Hyundai Verna will come with standard 7.0-inch infotainment system with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, App-based navigation and voice control.
– While the base trim will ditch the touchscreen system for a 5.0-inch colour TFT LCD instrument display.
– Along with the above features, it will also get power-operated driver’s seat, heated front seats, leather seat covers and multi-functional steering wheel.
– The Maruti Ciaz gets standard keyless entry, power windows, rear AC vents, front & rear armrest with utility box and cup holders respectively.
– In addition, Ciaz also comes with standard electrically adjustable ORVMs, accessory socket in front & rear, tilt steering and audio system with CD player & USB socket.
|Key Features||2017 Hyundai Verna||Maruti Suzuki Ciaz|
|ABS with EBD||Yes||Yes|
|Rear Parking Camera||Yes||Yes|
|Speed Sensing Auto Door lock||Yes||No|
|Autonomous emergency braking||Yes||No|
|Reverse parking sensor||Yes||Yes|
|Auto Day/Night IRVM||Yes||Yes|
|All Disc brakes||Yes||No|
|NCAP Ratings||NA||4 star for Adult & 2 star for child safety (ASEAN NCAP)|
– The new Hyundai Verna will get standard ABS with EBD and standard dual front airbags. The top-spec version will get as many as 6 airbags and rear-view camera.
– Stopping power will come from disc brakes at front and rear. The sedan is likely to carry over other features such as speed sensing auto door lock and autonomous emergency braking from the current model.
– The Maruti Ciaz gets a bunch of standard safety features including dual front airbags, ABS with EBD, seat belt pre-tensioners with force safe limiters, ISOFIX child seat anchorages and pedestrian protection compliance.
– Rear defogger and engine immobiliser are standard whereas the top-spec trim comes with auto day/Night IRVM with camera display.